Word of the Week 9/10/15

By 18:02

This week my word of the week is:

POEMS

 

This week I have had to analyse poems, search for poems, write about them and compare them. I have been inspired by poems by Rudyard Kipling and bored by others. I've listened to poets reading their poetry as well as talking about them, Patience Agbabi read her poem and Simon Armitage talked about his.

I had a look at some of the most poignant lines that have inspired a nation, words that we carry with us, words that make us cry and smile and remember.
The hard thing is picking your favourite poem and talking about why you like it - I mean out of the millions upon millions of poems, the thousands of search entries that come up and the hundreds of famous poets how do you pick the one you like the most?

Now I'm off to print the poems off that I need to analyse for literary terms such as alliteration, labial plosives, and assonance (now first I need to work out what assonance is).
This week though if you have time try and write a little poem:

Write a little poem
A haiku or a sonnet
About a baby in a bonnet
Or hope, or love, or pride
Perhaps if you choose to, in us you will confide

Ok, that was my little attempt, if you want to share yours then comment below - have fun!

Have a wonderful week,
The Clumsy Wordshaker
The Reading Residence

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Sounds like the right word to sum up your week then! Must be so difficult to choose just one, as you say, there's so many to choose from and I think your mood at the time can alter your selection, too. Enjoy! Thanks for sharing with #WotW x

    ReplyDelete