To Kill A Mockingbird

By 08:00 ,

Image result for to kill a mockingbird
I thought for this month I would review 'To Kill A Mockingbird'. This year Harper Lee has made the headlines with her new book 'Go Set A Watchman' and the bookstores were filled with both of her novels.
Many people have said that this book made them fall in love with reading and I have to say, I can see why. I don't think I have ever fallen in love with characters more: Atticus and his careful concern, his willing to stand up for what is right, Jem as he grows up, but still would do anything for his sister, and the girl who started it all, Scout, who sees life through innocent eyes. 


For me this book makes you think. It puts across a time where racism and inequality was high but in this book you see one man make a difference. He doesn't shout or scream or hit out at the people who feel differently. Atticus is a good man,  a father who teaches his children to read, to be respectful and learn courage from those who have it. Sadly though, the innocent do not always go free, no matter how hard people try and save them.

I loved the fact that the whole town was mentioned, the whole town had a backstory and this was weaved into the overall novel. From Miss Maudie and her never ending optimism, to the cantankerous but strong willed Mrs Dubose. The outsider Miss Caroline who doesn't teach children to read and children who only go to school once a year.

Image result for to kill a mockingbirdThis book was sad, but it was also one of the most brilliant books I have ever read.  It shows change, it illustrates a family that goes through hard times but know that they can always fall back on each other. I never studied this book and perhaps if I had I would have not have enjoyed it, it would have been bogged down with memories of a classroom and endless analysis.

If you haven't read it, give it a chance. I really want to try 'Go Tell A Watchman' next. I can't imagine what it must be like to be Harper Lee, to be the root of all that hype and excitement.

Have a wonderful week,
The Clumsy Wordshaker



Photo courtesy of: www.youngpeoplestheatre.cawww.pinterest.com

You Might Also Like

0 comments