Madwoman in the Attic

By 08:00

This book by Susan Gubar Sandra Gilbert was one that I mentioned in my Classical Summer post which you can find here: http://bit.ly/2au6Qak .


 I decided to read this book because I am planning to study English Literature and it was recommended to me as a great book to read. It basically covers all the key female writers, particularly focusing on the nineteenth century. After the introductory chapter which talks about the the key ideas there are specific chapters which talks about various authors and poets including: Jane Austen, Milton through Mary Shelley and Emily Brontë, Charlotte Brontë, George Eliot and the poets Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Christina Rossetti, and Emily Dickinson.

Is it worth the read, you may ask when faced with this book. I think it is,I think for anyone from a literature student to someone who feels like like they might want to read a classic book one day this book has something for you. If you want to understand more about the history of that time period, or an individual author you can use the incredible index at the back to specifically find out about a theme or person. The book is also really useful before or after reading one of the author's books as it tells you a bit more about it with quotes and explains why the author chose to go in that creative direction. I would recommend also for anyone interested in writing to read this book. To understand the choices and thinking behind some of the great English novels, is to help inform your own writing.


My particular favourite chapter was the chapter on Jane Austen, it covered all of her main novels but also told me more about her childhood novel 'Love and Freindship' (not a typo that is how she spelt it). I am planning to read Persuasion later on this summer, and it will be interesting to see how reading about it from an analytical point of view will affect how I read it (I think I might actually enjoy it more)! Another thing I thought was really interesting was the information on the Brontë children's childhood and their stories based around worlds that they created.

Following this book I am going to be reading Harper Lee's second novel 'Go Set a Watchman' which I am really looking forward to. Have you read either book, what did you think?

Have a wonderful week,

You Might Also Like

0 comments